CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The things kids say...


So.. a couple of weeks ago, my dad took Brevan and me up with him to look for deer. We were driving along, and we told Brevan to watch out his window for some deer. He looked at us and said with all seriousness, "I can't see the deer, my eyes are too dark." It was the funniest thing! He said it a couple other times before the night was over. It was just funny!

About 2 weeks later, we took him again with us one night. My dad had walked down into a patch of trees where we knew a buck was. He had me and Brevan sit on a ridge watching a couple of the valley's. The deer went out a different canyon this time, so Brevan and I raced to a different ridge to see down into the trees while my dad started to walk these trees too. I was out and ready, but the deer came out a different direction than what I expected. He never made it to the top of the hill, I could just see his horns and the very top of his back. I fired, missed, and the deer ran off. Later the night we were talking to Taylor about it, and Taylor asked Brevan why I had missed. Brevan said to him, " The deer didn't want to be dead." If only it was that simple! It was just funny! He is starting to say the funniest things that make us laugh for quite awhile!

We went hunting elk this weekend, and of course the weather was awful! My dad, Brett, and I rode up on a ridge opening morning while some of the others scattered around. The elk were spotted just below us, so we were volunteered to walk the trees down to the others. By this time it was snowing, but it was a really wet snow! We walked the trees and when we were finally picked up, we were drenched! Thankfully we had taken some extra clothes with us that morning! We just went up each morning and back down at night. Brett's parents watched the kids for us! That morning we didn't see any spikes, but Kevin got his cow later that day. Taylor and I got to finally shoot the next day. Taylor got the spike after a crazy chase and maneuver around other hunters! There were some hunters in front of us, and the didn't see the elk running across the flat, so they were going really slow! So Taylor took off around them on a washed out road and beat them up the hill until we were pretty much right beside the elk. We got out and shot a few times before he got in the trees. We knew he had been hit, so we had to go and find the blood trail. We finally found him about 40 yards in the trees. Taylor spooked him and was able to get him this time. I hate when they have to suffer, so I am glad we were able to find him quickly. It will be nice for them because they will have meat for the coming year.

We haven't really been up to much other than the hunts right now! Brett was helping his brother for a couple of weeks with his big bull hunt on the Beaver. Rustin got a nice one at the very top of the highest mountain over there. So, they had a fun weekend pulling that off! They enjoyed it though, and they had a good time!

The kids are growing and Madisyn is being a little pain right now! I can hear her crying upstairs when she should be napping. She has probably woke up the others! Wonderful! So I better get going! I will post some of our fall pics that we took last friday! They turned out really cute! I'm glad my sister in law wanted hers done too, because then we had someone to take ours too! We took turns and had a good time while we were up there!

We hope everyone is doing well!

2 comments:

Adrienne

cute pic. we'll be down your way this weekend

Naomi

What a great picture! I love how you dressed to match the trees! Sounds like you are having fun hunting too. :)